Friday, April 6, 2007

Wavbreaker's fork

There's one program that I use on a daily basis, that I would say, goes rarely used. That's wavbreaker. It simply does just as the name says. Breaks wavs up into smaller pieces. I record daily to a 24 hour raw file, which I then convert into baby wavs and edit them from there with wavbreaker. It is notoriously slow for read and write, and development has stalled since a few months ago. Well, it looks like someone has forked development, fixed performance, added usability stuffs and will hopefully weave it's way back into the main branch. Of course, just like any other software I could be critical about it, like it doesn't support 4GB files as per the wav spec, but I actually give it all blessing because if it wern't around I would have to dual boot to take care of my wavs as there's no other program in the linux world that does what it does, and not nearly as efficient.

So, I hacked on it a bit today, the fork that is. I'm going to try to get some of the patches that I've been carrying from wavbreaker into the fork.

No comments: